Search This Blog

Friday, March 20, 2015

How to Create a New Content Page in SharePoint Designer 2010

In this blog I'll go through the process of adding a new .aspx page to the site pages library of a SharePoint 2010 Team Site.
I created a new site collection with a team site as the top level site of the site collection.
 
The steps are:
01. Open SharePoint Designer 2010
02. Click the File Tab
03. Click More Pages
04. Choose aspx page and click create
05. Give the page a Title and location for storage
06. Choose Advance Mode (or not)
07. Delete the Form Tag
08. Click the Style Tab
09. Attach the Master Page (I'll choose default)
10. Put the Content Place Holder Main into Custom Content Mode
11. Add Content
12. Save The Page

A Site Collection With A Team Site As The Top Level Site
A_Site_Collection_With__A_Team_Site_As_The_Top_Level_Site.png
I start with an out of the box team site.
Open_SharePoint_Designer_2010.png
Open SharePoint Designer 2010
I go to Site Actions Edit in SharePoint Designer this way I know I'm connected to the correct site.
Click the File Tab
Within SharePoint Designer 2010 I click the File tab.
Click More Pages
Choose_aspx_page_and_click_create.png
I click More Pages. Choose aspx page and click create
This will create an out of the box .aspx page which knows nothing about SharePoint.
Give_the_page_a_Title_and_location_for_storage.png
Give the page a Title and location for storage
I will place my page into the Site Pages Library.
Choose_Advance_Mode__or_not_.png
Choose Advance Mode (or not)
I will choose advanced mode. This is one of the ways a SharePoint item can be 'customized' meaning that it will be stored in the Content Database in as opposed to using the site definition in the 14 folder.
Delete_the_Form_Tag.png

Delete the Form Tag
I normally hit the escape key to highlight the default form tag then I hit delete to delete it.
Click_the_Style_Tab.png
Click the Style Tab
I click the Style tab.
Attach_the_Master_Page__I_ll_choose_default_.png

Attach the Master Page (I'll choose default)
I click the Attach drop down arrow and choose my Master Page. I'll choose the Default master page, which in this case is the v4.master.
Put_the_Content_Place_Holder_Main_into_Custom_Content_Mod.png
Put the Content Place Holder Main into Custom Content Mode
The Carrot is sometimes hard to find and it's important that you choose the correct content placeholder here (Main).
Add_Content.png
Add Content
Add some custom content inside the PlaceHolderMain(Custom)
Save_The_Page.png
Save The Page
Save the Page and Preview in the Browser! All done. That's how you add a custom .aspx page to your SharePoint Team site.

No comments:

Post a Comment