Search This Blog

Friday, March 20, 2015

How to add and configure a Picture Library Slideshow Web Part in SharePoint 2010

Environment: Top level site of a site collection with an out-of-the-box Team Site Template
Steps:
  • Change the default page layout
  • Create a photo library
  • Upload some photos
  • Add a slideshow web part to the home page
  • Configure the slideshow web part
  • Save the page
Change the default page layout
Click the edit page icon to put the page into edit mode.
Change-the-default-page-layout-1.png

Click on the Text Layout Icon in the ribbon and choose One column. (You don't have to do this it's just better looking in my opinion)
Change-the-default-page-layout-2.png

Delete any unwanted content. In this case all the default content. To do this I highlight the content (while the page is still in edit mode and hit delete.
Change-the-default-page-layout-3.png

My page now looks like this, a blank slate.
Change-the-default-page-layout-4.png
Create a photo library 
Click All Site Content in the Quick Launch Bar to get to the All Site Content page. I am prompted to save the changes (not shown) and I click ok.
Create-a-photo-library-1.png

Click Create.
Create-a-photo-library-2.png

I filter by Library (by clicking the word library in the Filter By: section. Then choose Picture Library by clicking on it. I enter the name of the Picture Library (CompanyPhotos) and click Create.
Create-a-photo-library-3.png

Upload some photos
Click on the Upload Link and choose Upload Multiple Pictures.
Upload-some-photos-1.png

Add a Picture Shortcut. I do this by clicking the Link Add Picture Shortcut and browsing to the folder which contains my photos and click add (Browse and Add not shown).
Upload-some-photos-3.png

Select all the photos. (by default just the first one is selected so I hold down the shift key and click the last photo as well). Then I click Upload and Close. Optionally I can change the settings to send pictures optimized for viewing on the web but I'll stick with the defaults for now since I already optimized the photos.
Upload-some-photos-4.png
Add a slideshow web part to the home page
Click the Home tab link.
Add-a-slideshow-web-part-to-the-home-page-1.png

Click the Edit Page Icon to put the page into edit mode.
Add-a-slideshow-web-part-to-the-home-page-2.png

Click the Insert Tab
Add-a-slideshow-web-part-to-the-home-page-3.png

Select the Web Part Icon in the Ribbon. This causes an expansion for the selecting of the web parts. I click Media and Content in order to show expose the Picture Library Slideshow Web Part.
Add-a-slideshow-web-part-to-the-home-page-4.png

Click on the Picture Library Slideshow Web Part and then click Add.
Add-a-slideshow-web-part-to-the-home-page-5.png

Configure the slideshow web part
I move my mouse to the right edge of the web part (the page is still in edit mode) and when the black triangle appears I click it and choose Edit Web Part.
Configure-the-slideshow-web-part-1.png

I edit the web part properties as shown and then hit OK.
Configure-the-slideshow-web-part-2.png

Save the page
Click the save icon (kind of funny that an image of a diskette means save these days) and it's done.
Save-the-page.png

No comments:

Post a Comment